Monday, December 12

Winter Dinners: Chili and Texas Spaghetti

I was just looking over the recipes I've posted to this blog, and I noticed that there are hardly any meal ideas. I decided it's time to change that, so today I'm blogging on a winter favorite: chili. I found a good basic chili recipe in a cookbook a while ago, and as I usually tend to do with recipes, I adapted it and made it my own. It's chunky and has a stew-like consistency. Feel free to adjust seasonings depending on how hot you like your chili. I like to serve this chili with hot cornbread and cheddar cheese.

Leftover chili is great for Texas spaghetti. I grew up in a suburb of Dallas, and Texas spaghetti was a family favorite. Just cook up some pasta (we like spaghetti or fettucini best) and serve it with chili on top (instead of spaghetti sauce). You can also add cheese, onions, etc. If you don't have leftover chili, you can use cannedchili. That works really well too.

Chili
This recipe serves 4-6

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 can diced green chilies
2 14-oz. cans tomatoes
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 tbsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans


Cook beef, onion, and garlic in 3-qt. saucepan until beef is browned. Drain off fat. Add all the other ingredients except the beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about an hour (to blend flavors), stirring occasionally.

Stir in beans. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes, until the beans have warmed through and the chili reaches your desired thickness.

No comments: