Monday, February 13

Easy Dinner Recipe and a Request

Hey out there!

First, I'd like to start off by making a request:

I'm looking for an English Muffin recipe.

I tried one over the weekend, but it wound up tasting like ordinary dinner rolls. So if you have one you like, or you have one you've never tried but would like tested, leave a comment and let me know. Thanks!

Now, I'll get to the good stuff. I know we're all after ideas for dinners that are easy and quick, so I'll share one of my old standbys. This recipe came from my mother-in-law, and my husband and I love it. I had a really hard time at first getting the meatballs to keep their shape, but I discovered that if you add about 1/2 cup of water to the skillet as you fry them, it helps keep them from sticking and the water boils off so in the end, you just have nice, meatball-shaped meatballs.

Grandma Ebert's Swiss Meatballs
Serves 5-6

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 onion, diced
1 egg
1/2 c. bread crumbs (or 1 heel of bread, soaked, drained, and mashed)
1 can of mushrooms, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of water
Dash Kitchen Bouquet (it's a brown meat-seasoning, used to add color and flavor. It's optional, if you can't find it or don't want to buy it.
Cooked egg noodles or rice

Mix hamburger, onion, egg, and bread crumbs. Form into meatballs and fry until well browned. Drain off fat.

Add soup, 1/2 can of water, mushrooms, and a dash of Kitchen Bouquet. Stir gently to mix and cook on low until sauce is the desired consistency. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

No comments: