Monday, September 19

Italian Chicken a la Me

Hey out there!

I don't know about you guys, but chicken is one of my favorite foods to experiment with. It has such a neutral flavor that you can play around with all sorts of spices and learn about all kinds of flavors and combinations. I was feeling creative last night, and I came up with a new chicken dish that my husband and I both loved.

One good way to use up stuff you have a lot of is to experiment. That way, if it turns out poorly, no big deal! You have tons more anyway, so no harm done. On the flip side, if it turns out really well, you can make lots more. As you can tell from my previous post, we have TONS of tomatoes. We also had a lot of garlic, so I experimented with chicken, garlic, and tomatoes. Mmmmmm!

There are only two of us in my family, so you can easily double or triple it depending on how many people you need to serve.

Italian Chicken:
2 large-ish chicken breasts
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 big clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground parsley, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh
1/2 onion, sliced in rings
1 tomato, sliced in discs

In a 3 qt. sauce pan, combine olive oil and minced garlic while chicken is defrosting. Heat oil and garlic, then add parsley and onion. Saute until onion is tender. Add chicken, then cover the pot and cook for a while on low, until chicken appears mostly cooked. Then, remove lid and add tomato slices. Cook chicken with tomato slices on medium high heat until the chicken is golden brown on both sides.

I served this chicken with a simple rice pilaf (basically it's sauteed rice cooked in chicken broth), but I bet it would taste good with just about any carbohydrate-rich side dish.

If any of you out there have any other good recipes to share, feel free to leave them in the comments section!

1 comment:

Lucy Stern said...

I wonder if this would work in a crock pot. I like cooking in the crock pot. Sounds good to me.