Thursday, September 29

Mmmm, Chocolate Cake....

I was going to post yesterday, but I was just way too busy. My cousin invited my son and me to a Kinder-Sing party--a bunch of mommies singing to their babies. It was really weird at first to be in a group of mostly-older women and singing silly songs to a bunch of wriggly babies, but it was fun anyway. Then I got to meet up with one of my old roommates and good friends who just got back from serving an LDS mission in Argentina. It was so great to see her again! I also got to give my grandma the 30-page transcription of her life history that I'd been working on. There's still lots more to do, but she was really grateful for what I've done so far.

Anyway, back to the cake. I've got to figure out a way to make chocolate cake from my food storage. It's one of those comfort foods, y'know? I found this recipe for Milk Chocolate Bundt Cake in an old Taste of Home magazine, so I can't take the credit. You don't need cake flour for this recipe--the cake is light and moist enough with regular all-purpose flour. Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Milk Chocolate Bundt Cake

7 oz. milk chocolate
1/2 c. chocolate syrup
1 c. butter or margarine (softened)
1-1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk
powdered sugar, optional

Prepare Bundt pan by greasing and flouring it. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, melt the milk chocolate with the chocolate syrup over low heat, stirring frequently; set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to cake batter. Pour into prepared Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove cake from pan and cool completely. You can then dust it with the powdered sugar as a garnish. This cake doesn't really need icing, but you can make a glaze for it if you want.


I'm going to try to can some tomatoes this weekend between sessions of the LDS General Conference, so check back later for a how-to guide on canning tomatoes. I'll also be making cinnamon rolls, so if you want a recipe for those, let me know and I'll blog about the one I use.

1 comment:

Lucy Stern said...

Lindsay, That cake sounds wonderful. I'll give it a try. I have a friend who wrote a book called, "Pantry Cooking" and she has a recipe for chocolate cake in it. I look for the recipe and send it to you. You should be able to find the book at the LDS bookstore. It's written by Cheryl Driggs.