Thursday, January 26

Homemade Clam Chowder

We're at that time of year where winter starts to get old, but spring is still way off. What do you do to keep things interesting when you're cooped up inside wrestling babies all day? I choose to cook. It keeps my mind and my hands occupied, and it helps to heat the house! It's actually pretty amazing that my husband and I haven't put on a single pound all winter, the way we've been eating around here. Personally, I think that's because of the kinds of things I've been making lately. I still make a batch of homemade fat-free, low-sugar yogurt every week, and I've started making a batch of crackers every week too. They're really great for snacking, and I think that snacking on that kind of stuff instead of my usual cookies and chips has helped a lot.

It can be hard to think of every-day meal ideas that keep winter from being so boring. One thing I like about this clam chowder recipe is that it's very filling, and it doesn't taste so fishy that "sea-food-phobes" (like my husband!!) won't eat it. It cooks up very quickly too, so if you're running a little late on dinner, this recipe is great.

Aunt Janet's Clam Chowder

Serves 4-6

2-3 medium potatoes, peeled
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cans clams (they look like tuna cans)
1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
1/2 c. flour
1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pint half-and-half

Put vegetables and bay leaves in a pot. Add juice from clams and water to just barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil and cook on medium until vegetables are soft.

In another pot, melt butter and add salt and sugar. Add flour and cook and stir until mixture is light tan (about 2 minutes). Add half-and half slowly and cook and stir until thickened. Pour sauce into pot with vegetables (there's no need to drain the vegetable pot!) and add clams. Stir until warm.



This chowder goes great with French and sourdough breads! For a little variety, try adding different spices to the sauce--I tried oregano, thyme, and rosemary, and it was very tasty.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I love it. I saw that you went to BYU and probably had HFL 110 from Janet Stocks. Well, I was in her class and I have lost the book and wonder if you have any information on how I could get another one. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hello,
Staying home after being to university turns a person into a wonderful cook and I believe every housewife shouldf have a degree, its just makes them that much more content.
im a doctor, masters in Bio Science, and masters in Diving and Aviation Medicine, recently completed my MBA, got married in 2006 and sitting at home makeing my own mayo, jam, cakes, curtains,pickles, and just started writing a cookbook.
Just wanted to chat and say hello , and hope you are well.
Kindest regards
Dr Farheen Faruki