Friday, January 13

More Wheat Recipes: Crackers and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Who knew that wheat would be so fun for snacking? I found great recipes for homemade crackers and chocolate chip cookie bars. I've made both of these recipes this week, and both were fabulous. The recipe for wheat crackers is easy, and the crackers taste like homemade Wheat Thins, and actually taste better when they're slightly burnt (it makes them crisper and brings out the sesame seed flavor). You can also experiment with flavors--I've tried the onion-garlic ones, and they're great.

The chocolate chip cookie bars were so good we had a hard time believing they were made using only wheat flour and oats. I made them last night and I've been snacking on them all day today. :)

Homemade Wheat Crackers

Yields: most of a gallon-sized Ziploc bag

Regular flavor:
1-1/2 c. wheat flour
1-1/2 c. white flour
1/4 c. wheat germ
2 c. quick-cooking oats (can use regular)
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. honey or sugar
1/2 c. oil
1-1/2 c. milk or water
1/4 c. sesame seeds

Combine dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and knead until smooth. Use a floured pastry mat or counter top to roll the dough very thin (1/16" or thinner). Place dough on a greased baking sheet and use a pizza cutter to slice dough into squares. Bake at 350 until golden brown, between 15-20 minutes. Break up the crackers and allow them to cool completely before storing.

Flavors:
Onion and Cheese
Add with sesame seeds:
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

When crackers have been rolled, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and roll into dough with the rolling pin.

Onion and Dill
Add with sesame seeds:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion salt
2 tsp. dried dill weed


Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
This makes a biiiig batch of cookies!

1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2-1/4 c. wheat flour
2-1/2 c. rolled oats
1-12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Press dough into greased 11"x13" baking pan. Make sure to press dough to an even thickness. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Stacia said...

I found your blog by googling "homemade wheat thins." I made the recipe from the LDS storage manual, but wanted variations with more flavor. Then I poked around your blog and found recipes for all sorts of experiments I'd like to try, like cream cheese and the whole wheat pie crust and tortillas to name a few. I am in Houston (grew up in Orem) and don't know many who are as interested in food storage and using it as I am. I plan to look back in the future for reference. Many thanks!

Heather said...

I'm just about to try your wheat crackers. I love making things that most people think can't be made--like mayo. Sure I buy it at the store, too, but it's cool to make good food without all the chems and preservatives.