Monday, January 2

Recipe for French Dip au Jus

Ok, this recipe doesn't have much to do with Christmas, New Year's, or anything else, but I found this French Dip recipe in a cookbook I got for Christmas, and it was wonderful. I played with the recipe, and I came up with my own version that tastes even better. It's pretty simple to make, but the people you serve it to will love it anyway. My husband was amazed that I could make it at home and have it taste better than the restaurants.

French Dip au Jus
1 lb. roast serves 4; Choose your roast size accordingly.

1-3 lb. roast (rump works well)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 tsp. beef base (bouillon)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dry thyme
3-4 pepper corns
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 sm. med. onion, quartered and split

Use a fork to poke holes all over the roast. Place roast in a slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, beef base, and thyme; rub into roast. Pour remaining soy sauce mixture into slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Add water to barely cover roast. Cook on the high setting for 2 hours; reduce heat to low and cook for 4 more hours. Before serving, skim the fat off the au jus and remove the bay leaf, garlic cloves, and pepper corns.

For French Dip sandwiches, serve roast in crusty buns or French bread with Dijon mustard, mozzarella cheese, and mushrooms. Dip sandwiches in jus.

The jus can also be eaten alone or frozen for later use in gravies or soup bases.

2 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

Yummmm. This sounds good. I'll give it a try. My daughter had told me about the french dip she tried at a friends house up there in Utah.

Michael Ebert said...

Hi. I'm Lindsay's husband, Mike, and I read her blog, too. I can personally vouch for this recipe--amazing! Like many other recipes involve onions and spices, it actually tastes better the second day.